Read on for GEEO’s suggestions on books to read before you travel to Spain for the Camino de Santiago. Our book club is a way for teachers and other participants to learn through literature about the places they will be traveling. Reading about the Camino is the next best thing to being there!
Reading fiction or nonfiction based on a country gives travelers the context needed to have deeper, richer experiences abroad. It is completely up to the participant whether they choose to read them, as the GEEO book club is not a required element of our programs. We hope our participants will enjoy the books we have selected and they will enhance their experience.
You should be able to find most of our selections through the links below and in your local library system as well. Do you have any feedback on our selections or suggestions for additions? Contact us and let us know!
Recommended books to read before traveling the Camino de Santiago:
- Two Steps Forward by Graeme Simsion & Anne Buist
- The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
- On Pilgrimage by Jennifer Lash
- Pilgrim Tips & Packing List Camino de Santiago: What you need to know beforehand, what you need to take, and what you can leave at home.
- The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho
- Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago by Tim Moore
- What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim: A Midlife Misadventure on Spain’s Camino de Santiago by Jane Christmas
For your convenience, we have hyperlinked each of the selected books to smile.amazon.com. Did you know that Amazon gives 0.5% of the proceeds from your purchases to nonprofits like GEEO if you shop through Amazon Smile? All the same Amazon products and features such as Prime are available through Amazon Smile, but you get the added bonus of supporting your favorite nonprofit at no additional cost to you! If you’d like to support GEEO, please choose us as the organization that Amazon contributes to through Amazon Smile. We are listed as “Global Exploration for Educators Organization.” GEEO also utilizes Amazon Associates links for the above suggested books. If you purchase a book through one of the links above, you’re supporting us as a nonprofit and helping more teachers travel through GEEO!