Read on for GEEO’s suggestions on books to read before you travel on our Multi-Stan program. Our book club is a way for teachers and other participants to learn through literature about the places they will be traveling. Reading about these amazing countries is the next best thing to being there!
Reading fiction or nonfiction based on a country gives travelers the context needed to have deeper, richer experiences abroad. It is completely up to the participant whether they choose to read them, as the GEEO book club is not a required element of our programs. We hope our participants will enjoy the books we have selected and they will enhance their experience.
You should be able to find most of our selections through the links below and in your local library system as well. Do you have any feedback on our selections or suggestions for additions? Contact us and let us know!
Recommended books to read before traveling on the Multi-Stan program:
- On the Trail of Genghis Khan: An Epic Journey Through the Land of the Nomads by Tim Cope
- A Carpet Ride to Khiva: Seven Years on the Silk Road by Christopher Aslan Alexander
- The Silk Road: A New History by Valerie Hansen
- Life Along the Silk Road by Susan Whitfield
- The Lost Heart of Asia by Colin Thubron
- Shadow of the Silk Road by Colin Thubron
- Silent Steppe: The Memoir of a Kazakh Nomad Under Stalin by Mukhamet Shayakhmetov
- Chengli and the Silk Road Caravan by Hildi Kang
- We’re Riding on a Caravan by Laurie Krebs
- Stories From The Silk Road by Cherry Gilchrist
- Stranger on the Silk Road: A Story of Ancient China by Jessica Gunderson
- The Silk Road: 20 Projects Explore the World’s Most Famous Trade Route by Kathryn Ceceri
- The Silk Route: 7,000 Miles of History by John S. Major
For your convenience, we have hyperlinked each of the selected books to smile.amazon.com. Did you know that Amazon gives 0.5% of the proceeds from your purchases to nonprofits like GEEO if you shop through Amazon Smile? All the same Amazon products and features such as Prime are available through Amazon Smile, but you get the added bonus of supporting your favorite nonprofit at no additional cost to you! If you’d like to support GEEO, please choose us as the organization that Amazon contributes to through Amazon Smile. We are listed as “Global Exploration for Educators Organization.” GEEO also utilizes Amazon Associates links for the above suggested books. If you purchase a book through one of the links above, you’re supporting us as a nonprofit and helping more teachers travel through GEEO!