Read on for GEEO’s suggestions on books to read before you travel on our Moorish Spain program. Our book club is a way for teachers and other participants to learn through literature about the places they will be traveling. Reading about Spain is the next best thing to being there!
Reading fiction or nonfiction based on a country gives travelers the context needed to have deeper, richer experiences abroad. It is completely up to the participant whether they choose to read them, as the GEEO book club is not a required element of our programs. We hope our participants will enjoy the books we have selected and they will enhance their experience.
You should be able to find most of our selections through the links below and in your local library system as well. Do you have any feedback on our selections or suggestions for additions? Contact us and let us know!
Recommended books to read before traveling on the Moorish Spain program:
- Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree by Tariq Ali
- Tales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving
- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
- The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
- The Carpenter’s Pencil by Manuel Rivas
- Moorish Spain by Richard Fletcher
- The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews, and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain by María Rosa Menocal and Harold Bloom
- Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Spain by Chris Stewart
- Barcelona: A Thousand Years of the City’s Past by Felipe Fernandez-Armesto
- Discovering Spain: An Uncommon Guide by Penelope Casas
For your convenience, we have hyperlinked each of the selected books to smile.amazon.com. Did you know that Amazon gives 0.5% of the proceeds from your purchases to nonprofits like GEEO if you shop through Amazon Smile? All the same Amazon products and features such as Prime are available through Amazon Smile, but you get the added bonus of supporting your favorite nonprofit at no additional cost to you! If you’d like to support GEEO, please choose us as the organization that Amazon contributes to through Amazon Smile. We are listed as “Global Exploration for Educators Organization.” GEEO also utilizes Amazon Associates links for the above suggested books. If you purchase a book through one of the links above, you’re supporting us as a nonprofit and helping more teachers travel through GEEO!