Read on for GEEO’s suggestions on books to read before you travel to Sri Lanka & the Maldives. Our book club is a way for teachers and other participants to learn through literature about the places they will be traveling. Reading about these amazing countries is the next best thing to being there!
Reading fiction or nonfiction based on a country gives travelers the context needed to have deeper, richer experiences abroad. It is completely up to the participant whether they choose to read them, as the GEEO book club is not a required element of our programs. We hope our participants will enjoy the books we have selected and they will enhance their experience.
You should be able to find most of our selections through the links below and in your local library system as well. Do you have any feedback on our selections or suggestions for additions? Contact us and let us know!
Recommended books to read before traveling to Sri Lanka & the Maldives:
- The Seasons of Trouble: Life Amid the Ruins of Sri Lanka’s Civil War by Rohini Mohan
- The Maldives: Islamic Republic, Tropical Autocracy by J.J. Robinson
Additional options include:
- The Maldive Mystery by Thor Heyerdahl
- Gatecrashing Paradise: Misadventure in the Real Maldives by Tom Chesshyre
- Maldives History: Population, Economy, Tourism, Government and Politics by Henry Albinson
- Destination Paradise: Among the Jihadists of the Maldives: Among the Jihadists of the Maldives by Francesca Borri
- Learning Politics From Sivaram: The Life and Death of a Revolutionary Tamil Journalist in Sri Lanka by Mark Whitaker
- The Teardrop Island: Following Victorian Footsteps Across Sri Lanka by Cherry Briggs
- Running in the Family by Michael Ondaatje
- Uncivil War by Indran Amirthanayagam
- Reef by Romesh Gunesekera
- Mosquito by Roma Tearne
- Swimming in the Monsoon Sea by Shyam Selvadurai
- The Road from Elephant Pass by Nihal de Silva
- Chinaman: The Legend of Pradeep Mathew by Shehan Karunatilaka
- July by Karen Roberts
- A Disobedient Girl by Ru Freeman
For your convenience, we have hyperlinked each of the selected books to smile.amazon.com. Did you know that Amazon gives 0.5% of the proceeds from your purchases to nonprofits like GEEO if you shop through Amazon Smile? All the same Amazon products and features such as Prime are available through Amazon Smile, but you get the added bonus of supporting your favorite nonprofit at no additional cost to you! If you’d like to support GEEO, please choose us as the organization that Amazon contributes to through Amazon Smile. We are listed as “Global Exploration for Educators Organization.” GEEO also utilizes Amazon Associates links for the above suggested books. If you purchase a book through one of the links above, you’re supporting us as a nonprofit and helping more teachers travel through GEEO!