Read on for GEEO’s suggestions on books to read before you travel to Peru. Our book club is a way for teachers and other participants to learn through literature about the places they will be traveling. Reading about Peru is the next best thing to being there!
Reading fiction or nonfiction based on a country gives travelers the context needed to have deeper, richer experiences abroad. It is completely up to the participant whether they choose to read them, as the GEEO book club is not a required element of our programs. We hope our participants will enjoy the books we have selected and they will enhance their experience.
You should be able to find most of our selections through the links below and in your local library system as well. Do you have any feedback on our selections or suggestions for additions? Contact us and let us know!
Recommended books to read before traveling to Peru:
- Conversation in the Cathedral by Mario Vargas Llosa
- Death in the Andes by Mario Vargas Llosa
- Lost City Radio by Daniel Alarcon
- War by Candlelight by Daniel Alarcon
- The Dancer Upstairs by Nicholas Shakespeare
- Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas Llosa
- The War of the End of the World by Mario Vargas Llosa
- Yawar Fiesta by Jose Maria Arguedas
- Deep Rivers by Jose Maria Arguedas
- A World for Julius by Alfredo Bryce Echenique
- Red April by Santiago Roncagliolo
- Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
- Tonight is Carnaval by Arthur Dorros (Children’s book)
- The Last Days of the Incas by Kim MacQuarrie
- Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time by Mark Adams
- The Ancient Kingdoms of Peru by Nigel Davies
- Running the Amazon by Joe Kane
- The Conquest of the Incas by John Hemming
For your convenience, we have hyperlinked each of the selected books to smile.amazon.com. Did you know that Amazon gives 0.5% of the proceeds from your purchases to nonprofits like GEEO if you shop through Amazon Smile? All the same Amazon products and features such as Prime are available through Amazon Smile, but you get the added bonus of supporting your favorite nonprofit at no additional cost to you! If you’d like to support GEEO, please choose us as the organization that Amazon contributes to through Amazon Smile. We are listed as “Global Exploration for Educators Organization.” GEEO also utilizes Amazon Associates links for the above suggested books. If you purchase a book through one of the links above, you’re supporting us as a nonprofit and helping more teachers travel through GEEO!