Read on for GEEO’s suggestions on books to read before you travel to Bhutan. Our book club is a way for teachers and other participants to learn through literature about the places they will be traveling. Reading about Bhutan is the next best thing to being there!
Reading fiction or nonfiction based on a country gives travelers the context needed to have deeper, richer experiences abroad. It is completely up to the participant whether they choose to read them, as the GEEO book club is not a required element of our programs. We hope our participants will enjoy the books we have selected and they will enhance their experience.
You should be able to find most of our selections through the links below and in your local library system as well. Do you have any feedback on our selections or suggestions for additions? Contact us and let us know!
Recommended books to read before traveling on the Bhutan program:
- The Circle of Karma by Kunzang Choden
- Folktales of Bhutan by Kunzang Choden of the Snow Dragon by Eileen Kernaghan
- Beyond the Sky and the Earth: A Journey into Bhutan by Jamie Zeppa
- Treasures of the Thunder Dragon: A Portrait of Bhutan by Ashi Dori Wangmo Wangchuck
- Bhutanese Tales of the Yeti by Kunzang Choden
- The Cuckoo and the Pigeon – A Collection of Folktales from Bhutan by Ngawang Phuntsho
- Dance of the Snow Dragon by Eileen Kernaghan
- What Makes You Not a Buddhist by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse
- Married to Bhutan: How One Woman Got Lost, Said I Do and Found Bliss by Linda Learning
- Field Guide to Happiness: What I Learned in Bhutan about Living, Loving and Waking Up by Linda Learning
For your convenience, we have hyperlinked each of the selected books to smile.amazon.com. Did you know that Amazon gives 0.5% of the proceeds from your purchases to nonprofits like GEEO if you shop through Amazon Smile? All the same Amazon products and features such as Prime are available through Amazon Smile, but you get the added bonus of supporting your favorite nonprofit at no additional cost to you! If you’d like to support GEEO, please choose us as the organization that Amazon contributes to through Amazon Smile. We are listed as “Global Exploration for Educators Organization.” GEEO also utilizes Amazon Associates links for the above suggested books. If you purchase a book through one of the links above, you’re supporting us as a nonprofit and helping more teachers travel through GEEO!